Tuesday 19 May 2009

Batumi (aka Butter) Georgia

Crossing the border into Georgia and only one thing is on my mind... khachapuri Acharuli. So even though we had a late lunch and are do to meet up at 7:30 for a Georgian buffet evening, right after checking into the boat hotel, I head out on my own to find a little place called Lunga that is apparently one of the best places to try this Adjaran specialty. The two old ladies in the cafe speak no English and so when I order a khachapuri, what hey bring me doesn't look remotely like how it was described to me. But that is because there are a couple of different types of khachapuri. But with some sign language, we rectify the problem and one of the ladies indicates that it will take 10 minutes to cook. No problem... I have been waiting a heck of a lot longer to try this. In the meantime, I will sit and ponder why on earth Natakhtari beer seems to boast that they have been around since... 2004! Maybe just to distinguish itself from their principal rivals who were around during the communist days?

Anyway the khachapuri comes and I still don't see the lightly fried egg on top, even though one of the ladies made a point to ask me if I wanted the egg. Oh, now I see it is just below the two enormous hunks of butter. Given that it is also filled with melted cheese and is the size of an american football, this is a heart attack on a plate. But damn it was good. Now just an hour and half till the buffet starts....

No comments:

Post a Comment